Saturday, November 19, 2011

freightliner classic mid roof

In the early part of the 20th century, Tacoma, Washington plywood manufacturer and lumber entrepreneur T.A. Peterman was faced with a lumber logistics problem. He could not get freshly felled logs from the forest to his lumber mill quickly, or efficiently. In order to develop forest assets, it would be necessary to improve upon the contrived methods of the day: floating logs down river, or the use of steam tractors, and even horse teams. Peterman knew that if he could develop the then nascent automobile technology and build trucks, he could go a long way towards solving his problem.

2008 Freightliner Classic Mid

To this end, he was rebuilding surplus army trucks, (back in the 50's) improving the technology with each successive vehicle. Then he decided to try to put a battery on the starter (instead of the crank) and shortly thereafter, he purchased the assets of Fageol Motors of Oakland, California in 1938 in order to supplement his need for a custom built logging truck chassis. Fageol had gone into receivership in 1932. By 1938, the Great Depression had driven the value of the assets to nearly zero. Peterman acquired the defunct truck manufacturer and began to produce customized chain-drive trucks for exclusive use by his timber concern. In 1939, he began to sell his remarkable trucks to the public. T. A. Peterman died in 1945. His wife Ida, sold the company to seven individuals within the organization (management) less the land. They expanded it into a serious producer of heavy-duty trucks. In 1958, Ida Peterman announced plans to sell the land to develop a shopping center. The shareholders, not having the desire to invest in a new manufacturing facility, sold it to PACCAR. PACCAR (Pacific Car & Foundry Co), then primarily a manufacturer of railroad freight cars, was looking to expand into truck manufacturing. PACCAR, which had acquired the assets of Kenworth in 1945, was already an up and coming player in the heavy truck market. In June, 1958, they acquired Peterbilt Motors as a wholly owned subsidiary. One year later, Pacific Car started construction of a modern 176,000-square-foot (16,400 m2) manufacturing facility in Newark, Calif. In August, 1960 Peterbilt moved to the new facility and became a division of the parent firm, carrying on its own tradition while retaining its product line.

Freightliner Classic / FLD

In the late 1960s a second manufacturing facility was built in Madison, Tennessee. A third manufacturing facility in Denton, Texas was built in 1980, which became the sole location to build the then new 362 COE model. In 1986, Peterbilt closed the Newark plant, but left its headquarters, engineering, marketing and sales operations there. In 1993 Peterbilt left Newark completely, moving its headquarters and engineering operations to Denton as well.

DCP Freightliner Century Mid


2000 Freightliner Classic

FREIGHTLINER Classic/Classic

No comments:

Post a Comment